Thursday, October 20, 2011

comp study for about an hour

some more figures construction of the back

an attempt to do a value study comp but i got lost into details and now the viewer travles all over the place bc of my terribad brush marks  (will come back to revisit this and make changes to it)

a glaze over the monochromatic painting that i did a while back.  trying to find the colors and make sense of it.  oil paints

another major update on my cast.  still some errors but this is what i have as of last week...  nearly ready to lay down some tone

and lastly a quick comp study then i decided i would try to detail as much as i could spare...

well here is another update... trying to fit it comp studies and splitting time between figure and other work here at TAD.  the majority of the week was spent  working on the cast.  need to push past the block in stage so i can get ready to lay down some tone.  lessons learned:  dont lose the overall shape and value, pillow shape and box in for the figure so all the shapes of the muscles do not look random, and i dont know anything about color :/... 

so after the shapes are correct when doing the block in.  we then move on to toning down the value that we see. we keep it simple then go crazy.  so for now we will guesstimate 5 values that we see on the cast and lay it down to start breaking it up and showing where the form changes; basically where the light is hitting it and allows us see those changes.  Those shapes we blocked in are basically going to be shaded.  we keep it at 5 values to make it very simple there are obviously more then this but to begin with always keep things simple and then move to more complex things.  

as usual thank you for taking a look.   plz feel free to leave comments and crit.  take care

all comp studies were done in photoshop with intuous 4; the portrait was done with oil paints.  and the cast is being done with the most expensive charcoal evarrr. 

Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Here is the cast I am working on during this semester for my cast drawing class.

the last 2 pics are from live session.  lot of figure and lot of my free time has actually been spent working on the cast i have to do this semester. Cast drawing class here is offered as one of the classes we can take here at TAD.  it is offered as an extra class but it is required for students following the 2D entertainment program.  its a really good exercise that teaches u proportion, values, and helps you with even seeing subtle changes that are very very difficult to see.  its a very old traditional way to study art to help you literally copy what you see in real life to a drawing and takes a verrryy long time to do (like a very long time and a lottt of hourssss). which is why we have one assignment the whole semester (the one cast).  Alot of the atelier schools do these types of studies and just another way helping one such as myself become closer to becoming an artist.  so this will be a very fun experience.  

and trust me its been quite an experience.  making sure the angle is right, the shape is correct.  drives u crazy, even at times u want to punch a hole through it.  fun times really fun times.  the same a is applied here of course... start simple and then move to more complicated shapes that you are seeing.  and keep everything in straight lines to begin with.  this part, known as the block in, is by far the hardest and most frustrating part bc u literally have to exactly correct otherwise the cast will be incorrect.  and then u think is wrong u check, u double check, u triple check...  yea its pretty frustrating but im learning so much and each time u make a new line it gets better and that alone is a sickkkk feelinggg.

and of course some figure drawing as usual.  the last 2 are from our live sessions and the others are more back studies for our figure construction class.

anyways thanks for stopping byyy

by the way this is what my cast set up is like here at the ATX Pod.

here is the basic setup and how it began when i started which is literally about a month ago.

Friday, October 7, 2011

comp study done in photoshop still struggling hard core with the round brush

WIP of asaro head being done digitally and just in black and white

hey hey just a quick update on some work i have been doing this past week.  i started doing an asaro head study. trying to get into digital as much as i can.  sadly i didn't get like any oil painting done this last week.  will have to make it up this weekend.  about to get even more hectic because half the semester is already gone.  pretty insane how fast time has been going by / its already been 8-9 months since i have been at TAD (soon it will be one whole year!).  so this asaro head will probably will be complete for now until the end of the semester because i have to use any spare time i have to complete my cast and any other work i need to catch up with!   as usaual some more studies with the construction of the figure.  

anyways quick update as i needz to get back to the grindz... thank u as always for stopping by.